Tex Murphy: Under A Killing Moon

Discussion in 'Hints and Tips' started by Jimbo196352, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Jimbo196352

Jimbo196352 New Member

Good morning!

This post contains spoilers.

It seems that in Under a Killing Moon, you must do things in a specific order, or you end up in an unwinnable situation. I am following a walkthrough in the book *Prima's Secrets of the Games: The Condor 20 CD ROM Classics*, 1996 Prima Publishing. ISBN 0-7615-0804-X. "Chapter 19: Under a Killing Moon", pages 361-384 of 420.

The setting is a post-apocalyptic San Francisco, circa 2042, where people are either "Norms" or "Mutants". Tex Murphy is a hard-drinkin', hard-livin', down-on-his-luck private detective a la Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe.

In Day 3, Tex Murphy has woken up in his office after getting jumped and beaten with a lead pipe by Chameleon, after breaking into mobster Eddie Ching's apartment on Day 2 and, after cleverly disabling security traps, retrieving a valuable crystal statuette belonging to a rich, beautiful countess. He goes to Francesca's "A Slice of Heaven" pizza shop and retrieve a note from her, talks to Louie at the Brew and Stew and retrieves coded note scraps from Louie's trash can around the corner. I've yet to assemble the note scraps and decode the message, but it has something to do with a meeting in the Golden Gate Hotel. Ardo, the guy at the Golden Gate Hotel desk who loves Rusty the Clown's fire safety TV show won't let me in until: I've decoded the message; filled up a balloon (what balloon? I don't have a balloon) with helium; and disguised myself as Rusty. I'm stuck.

Jim

2. Len Green

Len Green Active Member

I can't remember since it's at least 15 years since I played it and probably more !
    From a walkthrough, Day-1, hope it helps ...........

* Look at door to Rusty's
    * Move the welcome mat
    * Get key from under mat
    * Use key on front door, go inside
    * Get suction dart crossbow on left side of shelf
    * Get inspector Burn's mask on floor
    * Turn on TV
    * Move the top box
    * Get the Rusty doll from bottom box
    * Get the throwing ring from the wall
    * Get key on wall, over to left side of room, near pillar
    * Use key on employees only door
    * Get suction dart
    * Get balloon from sink

3. Jimbo196352

Jimbo196352 New Member

Got it Len. I've done that; now I'm trying to assemble the note scraps so that I can combine them with Francesca's note. I think I've got the scraps in the right order, but it's tough getting them *just so*.

Jim

4. Len Green

Len Green Active Member

Hi Jim
    I'm afraid I can't help you with that. No walkthroughs can help that sort of manipulative only puzzle.
    I myself have written 40 opr so walkthroughs over the past 20 years, and over the past half dozen years or so only just a few what I call Savethroughs - these are a huge number of actual Savegames from the very beginning right through to the very end of the game. If gamers are totally stuck, then as a very last resort they can substitute the appropriate one of these savegames for their own to save the day.
    However I posted these Savethroughs (on Just Adventure) many years after Tex Murphy's .
    so you'll just have to
    persevere with the assembling of the note scraps - it shouldn't be too hard hopefully
    Cheers Len :~ ))